Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL



problemIf your Issue is:
I think someone has hacked my PC.

Contact the IT Service Desk as soon as possible and ask for help.  If you have any IT issues please contact the IT Service Desk in person in the Library Foyer, by phone on 01285 889 841 or by email (open Monday to Friday from 8:30am - 5:30pm).


problemIf your Issue is:
They won't leave me alone!

Harassment of any nature is not acceptable at RAU. Your Academic Support Tutor is available to talk to you or you can visit Student Support Services for help. It's important to let someone know what is happening. 

Also check out the free Hollie Guard personal security app:


If your Issue is:
Help! I am really struggling with my day to day bills.

For some students, attending University may be the first time that you have managed your own money and it can be challenging. Should you find yourself in a situation of hardship,  contact

You can also see:

Health and safety

infoIf your Issue is:
What is the RAU H&S policy?

The Health & Safety policy is available in the Student Handbook on the RAU website:

The RAU Academic Regulations are available from the RAU website:

Health/Medical Centre

helthIf your Issue is: 
I'm not feeling well where do I go? (also see Emergencies).

The Health / Medical Centre is open during term time (in the corner of the Quad behind main reception). NOTE: Currently an appointment must be made before attending. 

Opening times are:

Term timeSurgery open hours
Monday9:30am - 1:15pm
Tuesday9:30am - 11.45am
Wednesday9:30am - 1:15pm
Friday9:30am - 12:45pm

Please call 01285 652531 ext 2216 during clinic hours and the nurse will be able to assist you. If you have a non-urgent matter or need information, visit the RAU portal on the Phoenix Health Group website at If you are not registered locally you will need to be seen as a visiting patient, but any long term medical care will have to come from the practice you are registered with.  The Health/Medical Centre can also be contacted for non-emergencies on

A sexual health clinic operates from the University Health/Medical Centre during term time. 

Student Services also offer C-Card registration, which entitles students to free contraception across Gloucestershire. 

You can also get advice from the Student Support Services Hub and the main RAU website:


infoIf your Issue is:
Who shares my interests?

Visit the Student Union Office which is situated in the Log Cabin next to Cedar Lodge. The SU runs events and societies and are always open to suggestions and ideas for new groups. The Community Assistants also run events and would love to hear your ideas, they can be found by visiting the Student Support Services Hub in the Emrys Jones Centre.

Home sickness

probkemIf your Issue is:
I really miss home!

Visit Student Support Services Hub where you will be able to talk to someone and they will be able to put you in touch with the Community Assistants who are available to help you settle in. 

You can also see this link regarding advice for freshers:


problemIf your Issue is:
I'm being verbally abused because I'm gay/trans/non-binary.

Harassment of any description is not tolerated at RAU.

Report it to the SPOC (single person of contact) which is Steve Martin, Security and Student Conduct Manager.  Contact details: 

You can also use the email. It's important you let someone know what is happening.

You can also see: or


HealthIf your Issue is:
I've got to go into hospital - what do I do about my studies?

Notify your Academic Support Tutor that you will be away from studies. Once you are feeling up to it contact Student Support Services Hub who will guide you through how to apply for a deferral or extension. If this is accepted you will be allowed extra time to submit coursework.

You can also see:
Opening hours of Student Support hub


problemIf your Issue is:
I can't get on with a housemate.

Visit the Accommodation Office or e-mail A meeting will be arranged to discuss options for alternative accommodation if necessary. If you live off site and have a problem with your housemates  visit Student Support Services who can provide advice.

You can also see:

If the above does not answer your question, you could try:
Opening hours of Student Support hub